Find out how businesses with five or more vehicles weighing more than 3,500kg each can lower their ACC motor vehicles levies by demonstrating strong safety management practices.
The ACC Fleet Saver programme (ACC Fleet Saver) addresses a priority issue for New Zealand: the unacceptably high incidence and costs of heavy truck accidents on our roads.
A complete package covering workplace, on-road and in-cab safety, the programme offers levy reductions to eligible businesses who demonstrate a strong safety culture and a commitment to the highest standards of safety among their employees.
ACC Fleet Saver is designed for businesses who own five or more vehicles weighing more than 3,500kg each and can demonstrate strong safety management practices. Through the programme, businesses can reduce their ACC motor vehicle levies by 10 – 40%.
The process of getting on the programme starts with a self-assessment and application process, followed by a visit to your workplace(s) from an auditor on the ACC-approved auditor list – either appointed and funded by us or chosen by you at your own cost.
If the auditor concludes that your health and safety practices meets those set out in the ACC Fleet Saver audit standards, your business will receive a levy reduction on your annual NZ Transport Agency motor vehicle licence (rego) renewal invoice, for each qualifying vehicle in your fleet. This will apply for four years following the audit completion date.
Outlined below are the reduction details based on the three status levels, based on the new motor vehicle levies that came into effect on 1 July 2015:
Reduction in ACC levy
Approximate annual savings per vehicle
Programme entry level requirements
Indicates safety management policies and procedures that demonstrate commitment to continuous improvements in on-road and workplace safety, and injury prevention
Continuous improvement and progression towards best practice
Indicates safety management systems in place to enable continuous improvements through training and other means
Advanced best practice framework
Indicates advanced safety management systems and continuous improvements in on-road and workplace health and safety
You manage your ACC Fleet Saver programme self-assessment and application online through the ACC Fleet Saver programme website (external link)
The steps for applying are:
- Nominate one member of your staff as the contact person; they complete the process required for programme application (and also monitor its progress).
- Go to the ACC Fleet Saver programme website (external link)
- Click on New User? in the login page.
- Complete the sections on your business including the User ID and password, contact person (ie the person you nominated in step 1) and privacy statement then clickRegister.
Note down your password at this point.
- Click on Take a Self-Assessment and complete the assessment to determine what status level you can apply for.
- Apply for ACC Fleet Saver (you get this option when you meet the self-assessment standards at one of the three levels).
- Complete and submit the application.
- Fill in your declaration, print out, sign, and post to the address provided on the declaration.
The nominated person who provided their email address, username and password at step 4 will receive a registration email. They can login to the ACC Fleet Saver programme website using their username from the email and password (noted down in step 4 above) to check on the progress of the application.
For more information:
- see the ACC Fleet Saver FAQ section
- go to the ACC Fleets website (external link)
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- call the ACC Business Service Centre on 0800 222 776 (you can use this number to get information on ACC’s other business products).